Lineol was founded in 1905 by Oskar Wiederholz and produced composition figures in competition with Hausser Elastolin. They continued composition production until 1965. The company was nationalized in East Germany and moved to Dresden in 1949 as VEB-Lineol-Plastik. The Lineol trademark was purchased by Gert Duscha Modellspielwaren, they have produced a limited number of animals in cast resin.
The production of composition models are divided into "generations" according to periods :
- 1st Generation: 1906-1920
- 2nd Generation: 1920-1930
- 3rd Generation: 1930-1950
- 4th Generation: 1950-1965